A tool belt is a utility belt that holds all the tools you need for handyman jobs. Tool belts generally have various-sized pockets that hold a wide range of tools from your toolbox and make them easily accessible from your hip.
Tool belts aren’t a one-size-fits-all product – they can be customized to suit your individual needs. Whether you are tinkering on the engine of your RV or motorhome or doing some carpentry work on the inside, a tool belt can make the job that much easier.
A tool belt is a utility belt that holds all the tools you need for handyman jobs.
How To Choose the Best Tool Belt
A portable caddy for you to keep your must-have tools close by, your tool belt is an extension of your workwear and needs to be convenient and easy to use, however, not all tool belts are created equal.
There are several features and functions you should keep an eye out for when shopping for a tool belt. The best way to decide about which tool belt to get is to try on as many as possible and take inventory of the tools you need it to hold. The tool belt should not only have enough pockets to fit all the tools you need but should also be comfortable to wear.
Take note of the following when shopping for a tool belt:
- Fit and finish
- Quality (material, seams, stitching, and rivets)
- Belt and buckle adjustability, material, and comfort
- Pockets and tool holders, capacity, ambidextrous use, fixed or adjustable
- Number of pockets, size, and usefulness
- Hammer holders and locations
- Good value for money
There are several features and functions you should keep an eye out for when shopping for a tool belt.
Best Tool Belts
We tried and tested a wide range of tool and utility belts and came up with a list of the best on the market.
Best Overall: Occidental Leather Green Building Framer Tool Belt Set (B5625)
The Occidental Leather Green Building Framer Tool Belt Set (B5625LH) is the best tool belt overall. This top-leather tool belt feels like it has been worn-in already with soft leather that provides a super comfortable fit. The belt has 24 perfectly positioned pockets that provide enough space for every kind of tool, a no-spill tool holder system, and the belt comes with a lifetime repair service for stitching and riveting.
- 24 pockets
- The no-spill tool holder system
- Lifetime repair service for riveting and stitching
- Premium Top-Grain Leather Hand-Specific Tool Holders Promote Maximum Working Rhythm on the Job
- Pockets & Tool Holders : 24
- NoSpill Tool Holder System
- Function Engineered for the Modern Builder
- Made in USA
Most Secure: TradeGear Heavy-Duty Electrician’s Tool Belt
The TradeGear Heavy-Duty Electrician’s Tool Belt is equipped with two large pouches and a steel hammer loop for carrying a variety of tools on your waist. The belt is secured to the waist using a double-prong belt and an adjustable velcro strap ensures the belt can support the weight of the tools being held in the belt.
Made from 600-denier nylon material, this strong, durable tool belt has two pouches and 27 pockets of varying sizes and weighs 4.89 pounds when empty.
- Made from strong and durable material
- Two large pouches and 27 pockets
- Adjustable Velcro strap to fit all waist sizes
- Large pouches don’t secure tools well enough
- MADE FOR CARRYING ALL YOUR MOST-USED TOOLS: 27 new and improved spacious pockets, 2 heavy-duty pouches, 4 suspender-to-belt attachment loops, D-ring attachments, and more make this work belt capable of carrying your wrenches, pliers, grips, hammers, markers, and more tools.
- COMFORTABLE ENOUGH FOR THE MOST DEMANDING JOBS: An ergonomic design coupled with high-density, air-mesh foam padding delivers unbelievable comfort—our electrician’s tool belt is for jobs that require you to work long hours carrying heavy tools.
- EXTRA HEAVY-DUTY CONSTRUCTION: The heavy-duty 600D nylon material used to make this electrician tool belt is capable of years of service. We used double layers reinforced with metal rivets and bar-tak stitching for a longer service life. It is a combo tool belt made for serious electricians.
- EASY TO CARRY & WEAR: Easy carry handles on this heavy-duty work tool pouch add great convenience. They make wearing, taking off, or moving around your belt easier, even when fully loaded. You can also make adjustments by folding over the velcro for a better, more comfortable fit.
Most Comfortable: Gatorback Carpenter’s Tool Belt
We found this tool belt to be the most comfortable belt to wear. Made from 1,250-DuraTek nylon material, this belt has three large pouches and box-shaped pockets and is equipped with a back support pad filled with breathable memory foam. Weighing in at five pounds when empty, the Gatorback Carpenter’s Tool Belt comes with a one-year, defect-free warranty.
- Made from strong and durable material
- Padded back support
- Box-shaped pouches and pockets
- One-year, defect-free warranty
- Some users may feel the pockets are too narrow
- WARRANTY: Every product sold by Gatorback is backed by a one year defect free warranty! If there is a problem with the bags such as a rivet or stitching, contact us, we will replace the defective piece on your belt free of charge! The product must be purchased from us to be protected under our warranty.
- SIZING: All of the Gatorback sizing is based off the average fit for each size, if there is any issue with sizing contact us before returning and we will send out the size you need free of charge! We like to look out for our customers!
- MAXIMUM COMFORT: The Gatorback Tool Belts have a patented air channel design to provide the user with a breathable, comfortable and sweat free experience. Even the foam backing we use in our belts is an ultra-breathable material to keep the belt cool and comfortable!
- BUILT TOUGH: EVERY stress point on the pouches and on the belt are riveted AND bar tacked to ensure the pouches hold up for a long time! The material used on every Gatorback item is heavy duty 1250 DuraTek nylon, this keeps the pouches rugged and durable but light enough to not weigh you down. The right side is our Carpenters Tool Pouch w/Hammer Loop. Center Pouch is our 8" deep Single Pouch and the left side has our 7 Pocket Fastener tool pouch with wide, easy to access pockets.
- BOX DESIGN: All of our pouches have an interior plastic lining to give them a box shape that won't sag. Unlike other pouches that are sewn at a point, the box design keeps the pouches open, accessible and prevents tools from poking holes through the bottom.
Best Design: Style N Craft Pro-Framers Combo Tool Belt
The Style N Craft Pro-Framers Combo Tool Belt has an ergonomic and innovative roller buckle and double-prong design with tanned leather pouches, 17 pockets, including a unique tape measure pouch and a strong metal hammer holder, all stitched with durable nylon thread.
The tool belt’s pockets have a suede-like interior to contrast the dark exterior for added tool visibility and the belt’s top-grain oiled leather makes the belt durable, sturdy, and aesthetically pleasing to the eye. The tool belt’s roller buckle and double-prong design make it easy to put on and adjust and fasten securely around the waist.
- Made from top-grain oiled leather
- Roller buckle and double-prong design
- Two large pouches and 17 pockets
- Unique tape measure pouch and a strong metal hammer holder
- 4 Piece Tool Belt: Stop making multiple trips for your tools when you can carry them all at once with Style n Craft 4 Piece Pro Framer's Combo, which has a tool belt with two extremely beneficial and spacious pouches and a dedicated hammer holder
- Leather Tool Belt: This Style n Craft tool belt is made with 100% full-grain leather in dark tan color. Contrast stitching with heavy-duty nylon thread makes this tool belt withstand every rugged and harsh situation
- Versatile Tool Belt: Equipped with 17 pockets, including six internal pockets, our framer’s leather tool belt combo has a unique double pouch design. Our tool pouch's discrete and unique construction provides convenience and enhances tool accessibility
- Tool Belts for Men and Women: This durable leather tool belt is ideal for everyone and can easily fit a waist measuring 34" - 46". Also, the belt is 3" wide, tapered with a double prong metal roller buckle, and has rivets with caps for more safety
- Suitable for All Tools: Featuring an easy carry handle on both pouches, our rugged tool pouch can carry all kinds of tools, be they heavy ones like a metal hammer or pry bar or smaller ones like nail sets, pencils, and screw drivers
Best Value: Bucket Boss Builder’s Tool Belt
Bucket Boss Builder’s Tool Belt is a good choice if you are shopping on a budget. Made from 600-denier polyester ripstop material, the one-size-fits-all belt boasts a lightweight design with two adjustable pouches with reinforced bottoms and has two hammer loops to accommodate various-sized hammers. The belt’s pouches are adjustable, allowing you to position them to suit your preference and the belt expands up to a 52-inch waist.
- Durable, lightweight design
- Good value for money
- Two adjustable pouches with reinforced bottoms
- Difficult to fit around the waist
- The belt’s sagging pouches decreases mobility
- Reinforced pouch bottoms
- Infinity belt fits up to a 52” waist
- Barrel-bottom, super capacity pouches
- Single body construction. Dual hammer loops
- Adjustable pouch system
Best for Carpenters or Contractors: AWP HP General Construction Leather Belt Flip Pocket Tool Rig
The AWP HP General Construction Leather Belt Flip Pocket Tool Rig is another very good pick, particularly for carpenters and contractors. Made of premium oil-tanned leather for maximum performance and longer life, this practically-priced tool belt features supple bags that are ideal for holding just enough tools for carpentry work without being overbearing.
It also has two large rings for hammers and D-rings for suspenders. The adjustable belts slip along the belt easily so can be repositioned to customize the tool belt to suit individual needs. The belt is made
- Made of premium oil-tanned leather
- Features supple bags for carpentry tools
- D-rings for suspenders
- Fully adjustable and customizable
- Might be bulky for some
Best for Electricians: Klein Tools 42242K Tool Apron
The Klein Tools 42242K Tool Apron is your best bet for electrical work. The tool belt is smaller than other tool belts and designed to hold the smaller items that electricians generally tend to use such as nails, screws, and other bits and pieces.
Boasting two large pockets and two small pockets, the belt’s bags have a soft suede feel, making them easy to reach inside and grab screws or wire nuts. There is also ample room for NCV detectors and store marking tools and NCV detectors and a center steel tape holder is handy.
- Made of premium leather
- Features suede-feel pockets
- Center steel tape
- Fully adjustable and customizable
- Heavy hammer-loops on both sides for convenient use by right- or left-handed workers
- Riveted and stitched leather construction for extra durability
- Six pockets for everyday organization and carrying convenience
- Tunnel loop fits belts up to 3-Inch (7.6 cm) wide
Best Framing Tool Belt: McGuire Nicholas 767-E Contractor’s Apron
The McGuire Nicholas 767-E Contractor’s Apron is a good option for framers who use certain tools and need them handy. This leather belt has an innovative and practical design with plenty of room for tools such as a framing square, hammer, marking tools, nails, tape, and a few other tools.
Made from premium oil-tanned leather for longevity and durability, the leather belt has two steel hammer loops on either side making it a good tool belt for both left and right-handed people. It has a double-prong roller buckle for secure closure and fit and fits up to 50-inch waist size.
- Made of premium oil-tanned leather
- Innovative and practical design
- Two steel hammer loops on either side
- Double-prong roller buckle for a secure fit
- Non-sliding hard-riveted pockets
- Odd sizing
Best for Home Use: Dickies Five-Pocket Side Tool Belt
This compact tool belt from Dickies is lightweight and easily adjustable. It comes with ample space to fit five small tools and is ideal for quick and small jobs around the home. Weighing just 9.6 ounces when empty, the belt is made from durable canvas material, has five pockets, and comes with a one-year warranty.
- Made of durable canvas
- Practical design with five pockets
- Ideal for home use
- One-year warranty
- Minimal carrying capacity
- No hammer loop
- CONVENIENT - 5-pocket tool pouch allows you to keep your tools within reach at all times
- DURABLE CANVAS - Constructed of heavy-duty canvas with webbing-reinforced pockets
- STORAGE OPTIONS - 2 large main pockets, 1 screwdriver-sized webbing tool loop, 1 plier-type pocket and 2 smaller tool loop-type pockets
- INCLUDED BELT - Webbing belt with durable, high-impact plastic buckle
- CUSTOM FIT ADJUSTABLE - Adjustable length fits waists from 32 to 52 inches
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I size my tool belt?
To size your tool belt, place your existing tool belt on an even surface and measure it from the end of the buckle to the most commonly used hole. Select the belt size (by mid-range) that is closest to your measurement. If you do not have a current tool belt to measure, you can get an approximate mid-range measurement by adding four inches to your pant waist size.
What should I consider when buying a tool belt?
There are different types of tool belts for different needs, including specialty belts made to fit specific tools precisely, such as a contractor’s or an electrician’s tool belt. Basic styles have pockets and loops for general use tools such as a hammer or a screwdriver, while others have specific design features like special pouches to hold nails, screws, and other fasteners.
One of the most important considerations should be how the tool belt fits. Don’t go by your waist measurement, unless you intend to wear the belt precisely at waist level. Most people wear tool belts a bit lower.
Another important aspect to consider is the way the tool belt is balanced. Pockets, pouches, and loops should be evenly placed on the belt. Look for a tool belt that offers back support – some belts are specially designed to provide extra support.
Jill Miller is the founder of Your RV Lifestyle. Trading corporate America for the open road, Jill, along with her partner Jose, began their RV journey, making an unconventional start by wintering in New Jersey. A natural adventurer, she was motivated by a desire to explore the USA and beyond, embracing the varied landscapes, communities, and cultures across the country.
For Jill, the allure of RV living was not about material accumulation, but rather the pursuit of an adventurous, fulfilling lifestyle. A lover of golf, bicycling, hiking, and line dancing, she has carried her passions across the country, engaging with them in diverse settings. Jill’s commitment to the RV lifestyle came after years of careful research, numerous consultations with RV owners, and personal trials, including living in a rental RV.